Friday, January 14, 2011

Longest Word

Longest Word in English Language?
This word I ran across is definitely a competitor for that category:
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
Yes, that is a word! Go to dictionary.com and hear it pronounced! It will also give you the definition, 'a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust'.
Here's the link that you can copy and paste it into your search bar if you want. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
It sounds really cool!
I'm obsessed with long, cool words!
My mom can tell you my favorite one: sternocleidomastoid.
That doesn't even hold a candle to the word above though!
BTW: Sternocleidomastoid is a muscle in your neck...you have two of them actually. If you turn your head to the side and feel from the bony protrusion right behind your ear down to center of the base of your neck, that's your sternocleidomastoid - or one of them.
Two of my passions: words and the human body. It's SO fascinating to bring them together.
In my CS MT course right now, I'm studying medical word building.
I read part of a medical terminology book that belonged to a friend a few years ago. That was neat!

No comments: